Kancheepuram Idli Recipe or Kachipuram Idli – Kanchipuram is a temple town in Tamil Nadu South India. Tamil Nadu is well known for its many breakfast recipes but apparently this Idli has been popularized by the name of the town itself – Kancheepuram.
The Idli is made here by steaming it in containers laden with a special type of locally available leaf called Mantharai leaf (Bauhinia Variegata). This give the Idlis a unique flavor.
If you don’t have access to this leaf, you can use either the Banana leaf or Arecanut leaf. Or simply use an Idli vessel to steam the Idlis and the flavor will be just right.
This traditional South Indian dish has a unique flavor in that we use Black peppers which gives it that different taste while also retaining the known softness and texture of Idli.
You can serve this Chutney or Sambar. This is usually a breakfast dish but you can serve for Lunch or Dinner as well.
Other Idli recipes:
Step-by-step recipe for Kanchipuram Idli below
Kanchipuram Idli Recipee
- 2 cups Raw rice
- 2 cups Urad Dal or Black Gram Dal
- 5 tablespoon Oil
- 4 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 teaspoon Whole Black pepper
- 1/2 liter Curd or Yogurd. Should be fresh and thick
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
How to make:
- Soak dhal and rice together for 3 hours.
- Grind this after soaking till it reaches a coarse consistency.
- Batter should be thick preferably.
- Allow it to ferment for about 10 hours or
- Before pouring the batter into idli plates for steaming, add oil, ghee pepper, cumin seeds, curds and soda to the batter.
- Grease idli plates and pour batter as in normal idlis but a bit thicker.
- Steam till the idli is cooked.
- This will take approximately 35- 45 minutes.
- Serve hot along with idli chilli powder or Milagai podi (in Tamil).
- You can make plate idlis if you want to add excitement to your idlis.
- Instead of the normal idli plates, grease and steam in bigger plates to make 4 or 5 plate idlis.
Nutrition / Calories (Estimate only)
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.