How to make Potato Chips at home – Easy step by step method with photos.
Potato Chips Recipe – Who doesn’t like it :)? It’s every kids’ and grownups favorite snack. It goes with every Indian main-dish that you can think of – from Biryanis, to Rice or as a replacement for Pop-corn while catching your favorite movie. Or you can just eat it right as a snack on its own.
Potato Chips originated in the UK about couple of hundred years back, and since then it has taken the world by storm. There are companies built around making and selling potato chips. It’s gotten so much advertising that parents have to keep kids off these delicious snacks.
What we are presenting here is a healthier option (compared to what is available in stores – no additives, flavoring etc) to making Crispy Potato Chips at home. This is a no-frills make at home recipe that doesn’t require fancy ingredients – we need healthy fresh Potatoes, Salt, Chilli Powder and Pepper Powder.
As noted in the recipe, make sure that you follow the washing process thoroughly – the starch from the Potato needs to be removed for you to have those crispy chips. Otherwise it might turn out to be soggy. Also, you need to make sure that the slices are very thin, else it might be unevenly fried and again turn soggy.
Don’t worry if a batch does not turn out well. The beauty of this Potato Chips recipe is its simplicity. You can always work on the next batch of Potato slices if the first one isn’t crispy.
Finally we add Salt, Pepper and Chilli Powder to create a simple crispy and subtly spicy Potato Chips!
How to fix Soggy Potato Chips?
There are many reasons why Chips might turn out to be soggy – starch is still present in the Potatoes (you need to wash it multiple times). The slices aren’t thin or the Potatoes aren’t fresh and are too soft.
What Potatoes should be chosen for these Chips?
Potatoes that are available in the Kirana store or super market should do just fine. Just make sure that the Potatoes aren’t soft. You can check this by pressing them while buying. If they are soft, then the resultant chips will also turn out soggy.
Can any other Masala be to the Chips?
Sure. You can add a dash of Chaat Masala to bring in another flavor to the Chips.
What are some pairing options for Potato Chips?
Potato Chips goes with almost anything but we’d recommend that you use this side-dish to bring life dishes such as Variety Rice dishes.
Step by step recipe for making Potato Chips at home, below:
Crispy Potato chips
- 6 nos Potatoes Medium sized ones.
- 1 pinch salt as per requirement
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Pepper powder
- 1 cup oil for frying
How to make:
- Peel the outer skin of the potatoes and wash it thoroughly.
- Shred them into thin slices using a shredder
- Wash the sliced potato two times, because starch should to be removed from the potatoes.
- Dry the sliced potato in a cotton cloth for 15 – 20 minutes under the fan or naturally.
- The potato slices should be completely dry before you move to the next step.
- Heat the oil and add the sliced potatoes one by one and fry it for three to four minutes till you find it to be crispy
- Put the fried chips on the tissue paper to remove the oil.
- Add the salt, chilli powder and pepper powder and mix it thoroughly.
- Enjoy the crispy potato chips!
Nutrition / Calories (Estimate only)
Have Potato Chips with:
Check out other Indian snacks recipes that you can make at home easily, here.